This wasn't one of my better moments. I made the dough a few days ago. It was easy nice. Instead of placing each rolled out round between two pieces of was paper I--stupidly--decided to conserve on wax paper by only using three pieces for the two disks of dough: one on top, one in the middle, and one on the bottom. I think my cheapskate husband is starting to rub off on me! Then, because I knew the dough would be in the fridge for a while I stuffed the whole thing into a gallon ziploc bag. In a smarter move, I then decided to make a strawberry rhubarb jam as the filling. I love dark cherries, but Paul had some rhubarb that I wanted to use up and this seemed like a perfect excuse. The jam was quick, easy, and delicious. Then I waited a few days. Not surprisingly--I really should have seen this coming--even after letting it sit on the counter for a while to soften, it was impossible to separate the two disks of dough without completely tearing them into pieces. I was able to patch the bottom one back together in the tart pan, and then covered it with jam. In hindsight, I should have tried patching the top one before I placed it in the pan, but I just wasn't thinking. I put the pieces on top of the jam, and then tried patching them together. Hah! It was impossible. The jam just kept leaking everywhere. I finally gave up. Once I decided that wasn't going to work, the egg wash and pretty pattern seemed like a waste of time too. So here we have it. I won't even call this a gateau basque. It is a (very) rustic jam and cookie sandwich. I liked it for dessert last night, Paul thought it was only okay. Cold from the refrigerator it did, however, make a delicious breakfast this morning!