Friday, February 27, 2015

FFWD Riviera Fish Soup


I don't know what to say about this soup.  On the one hand, the flavor really was great.  On the other hand, it was absolutely painful to push through a food mill, and then throw away, a 28 dollar red snapper.  I would have felt much better about this soup if my store had an inexpensive bin of "fish for soup," the way Dorie described.  In hindsight, I probably should have just skipped the food mill and served the soup with chunks of fish (although I'm not sure what I would have done with the skin and bones in that scenario).  I served this with salad, shrimp dumplings, salmon (was supposed to be for Charlotte, but we all shared), bread and quick-aoli (I was too tired to make my own, so I added lemon juice and garlic to store bought mayonnaise).  Paul was still hungry after.  Again, with a whole red snapper I was expecting more of a meal.  This soup felt like a delicious starter.  I'll be very curious to see what everyone else thought of the dish.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't throw away anything even when Dorie says to use an herb pouch I just chop them up and throw them in... the soup is really good chunky... next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting but I am not sure I would repeat the process. I did use Cod instead of the whole fish and thought it looked better before I pureed it. Your meal looks quite interesting, a great combination of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was no way I was cooking a whole fish…with the head, and then have to mash it through a food mill. I bought snapper filets and cooked everything the way Dorie suggests. Then threw it all into a blender! It was really good! We actually enjoyed the pureed soup, but I think it would have been equally as good if left chunky! Have a great weekend, Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it is always an adventure, that is for sure. I was trying to get my head around pureeing/milling etc and did not discard anything...but that is because I just read the directions wrong and thought we were focusing on texture. So if you had a food mill you would have "extra" that would refine and chuck but since I used the Cuisinart it all got blended. Since I did not use whole fish it was the easy way out across the board. Sorry this was not a hit for you all (and that Paul was still hungry :) but kudos for making it regardless !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone else mentioned it was a nice starter. You are right a great expense for something that was not substantial. Most of the stories about the food mill have not been good either. I think Diane Balch had the right idea with her soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jora, I always have a hard time with the head (sorry that sounds so bad) this would be a recipe for my husband to cook, sounds like it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been having trouble commenting on your post. Hopefully it goes through this time. Your post makes me glad that the fish I used was only $5 a pound. Of course, it wasn't snapper, but it worked out. Like you, I would definitely skip pureeing the fish if I made this again.
    I got your note. I'm so glad you and Charlotte like the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a chunky soup would have been more satisfying! I did enjoy the flavor, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you and Paul enjoyed this soup. Fish soup simply doesn't appeal to Gary and I. I know we are missing out but there it is. I'm happy Charlotte was willing to share her salmon:)

    ReplyDelete