Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TWD White Loaves

This is my first post for Tuesdays with Dorie.  I have been following TWD for a while now - since my husband showed me a magazine article about it - and am so excited to be part of the group.  I paged through Baking with Julia when I bought the book a couple of months ago, and to be honest I'm excited but more than a little nervous.  I'm a pretty decent baker, but I'm always much more focused on taste than appearance, and I'm more than a little bit worried about the decorating skills that might be required to make some of these recipes, especially the fancy cakes!  

So, I was very glad that the first recipe was a relatively simple white bread.  I've been baking bread for 5+ years now, with mixed results.  My go-to cookbook for bread recipes is Secrets of a Jewish Baker.  The instructions are clear, he always gives you the option of making the bread by hand, in a food processor, or with a stand mixer, and the recipes always work.  Also, although the title sounds specific there are all kinds of recipes in there.  I make the challah often, but I also love the cinnamon raisin bread, the cheese bread, the potatonik...More recently, I've also been making a lot of no-knead bread from Jim Lahey's book.  I love that I can put it together on a Friday or Saturday night, and then - with almost no work - have a loaf of crusty bread for dinner the next night.

When I first started making bread I made some really awful loaves.  I had a lot of problems activating the yeast and often my bread wouldn't rise at all.  Now I'm much more careful with the water temperature, and always make sure that the yeast gets foamy before I start adding the flour.  My breads are still very far from perfectly consistent - especially in the winter - but they are much improved.  When I started this bread I fully intended to take photos of the entire process, but then soon forgot!  My only photos are from before the first rise.  Here's the foamy yeast in the stand mixer before I added the flour:


And here's the formed ball of dough ready for it's first rise:


After the bread cooled we were hungry for dinner so I started to cut some slices, and finally remembered that I was supposed to be taking pictures!  So here's one of the finished bread.


I felt like this was a solid, basic bread recipe.  The one thing I wasn't happy about - and I know this is my fault - is that when I sliced the bread there were visible swirls, and it didn't hold together perfectly.  I need to work on my technique of shaping the bread for the second rise.  Other than that, this bread got a nice rise and made good peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and toast.  I rarely make plain bread like this, and it was nice to have around.  I doubt I'll make this recipe again, though.  For a very plain bread, I think I prefer the Jewish Baker's buttermilk white bread.  It's still versatile, and I like the extra flavor that the buttermilk adds.

Laurie and Jules are hosting this week, so go here and here to see their posts (and the recipe) and here to see what everybody else thought of the bread!

13 comments:

  1. Your loaf looks wonderful! Shaping comes w/ practice, and as long as it tasted good that's what counts. I just tried my first buttermilk white bread yesterday, but had only one slice so far, so not sure if I like it better or not. Good luck w/ future recipes. I'm nervous about the decorating too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have had much more practice making bread than I have. It looks so pretty! I would like to try the no knead bread recipe as well, but one of the things I enjoy most about making bread is the kneading. I am so glad you are also baking your way through this book, Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the bread is good when you eat it so quickly that photographing it is forgotten. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a reluctant convert to Jim Lahey's no-knead method too. Feels like cheating, doesn't it? I'm not ready to abandon the traditional method altogether yet, though. I will check out the Secrets of a Jewish Baker book now that you've recommended it. I'm still searching for a great non-dairy challah (they always seem a little dry when I make them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had mixed results with that challah recipe. I think it works perfectly when I remember to under-bake it slightly, but it does have a tendency to be dry. If you find a great recipe, I'd love to hear about it.

      Delete
  5. I have other loaf bread recipes I like a little better than this one, also. Peter Reinhart has a really good one in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. This one was fairly easy and tasty, and made a great start for our group, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made me so glad that I haven't really looked through this book yet (I know someone's going to yell at me for saying that, but I've gotten 6 new cookbooks in the last 5 weeks and I was alrady 2/3 way through Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert). I agree with Melanie, the taste is the most important part, so if you liked it enough to eat it, it was a worthwhile experiment. Hopefully you'll like our next challenge a bit better! Tart doughs are currently the bane of my existence, but I guess that just means I could use the practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for the tarts! It's a rare week when I get to buy three kinds of chocolate :-) I completely understand about the cookbooks. I have a bad habit of buying them faster than I can read them...

      Delete
  7. Some of the recipes in this book are definitely scary, but I am sure you will do splendidly!
    Glad to see another FFwD'er on this go round of TWD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm petrified of cake decorating. I'm not familiar with Jim Lahey's methond and will have to look into it. Curious about what you thought of this weeks FFWD recipe. See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! I'm actually thinking of signing up for a cake decorating class, but maybe that's cheating...

      Delete
  9. 80 years old and still trying anything of interest. This is so much fun and I am learning
    new techniques each time I do a Dorie recipe. I'm glad Tricia talked me into this one
    as well as FFWD. We have had some amazing results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the cookbook recommendations. I've decided that I need to get back into baking bread.

    ReplyDelete