Tuesday, November 6, 2012

TWD Buttermilk Crumb Muffins


I've mentioned before that my husband, Paul, loves to garden and I've loved cooking with everything he's managed to grow over the past two summers.  I don't think I've mentioned that Paul actually loves house projects of any kind.  If it weren't for my insistence on a "tools budget", I think he would spend the better part of every weekend at Home Depot.  We live in a house that's one story plus a basement, and Paul loves to tell anyone who will listen about his very-detailed plan to build an entire second-story addition on his own.  It somehow involves building the walls outside in the backyard, but he's yet to explain to me convincingly how in the world he plans to get the walls to the top of our house!  Anyway, luckily for both of us, Paul decided to start on a smaller project this year: building us a patio.  I think Paul has secretly enjoyed much of the time he's spent on the patio, but it has been quite an ordeal.  Our house is high up on a hill and we have no driveway, so the fun really started the day he arrived home with hundreds of bricks to carry up the hill.  The fun continued with digging out a hole for the patio, and then a couple of weeks ago Paul informed me that he had ordered eight (8!) 1.5 ton bags of gravel and sand to be delivered to our house!

By now you're probably wondering what this has to do with muffins.  Well, I told Paul that I most definitely was not waking up at 7am on Saturday morning to help haul gravel up the hill, but when he convinced his (insanely nice) friend to come over and help, I decided that the least I could do was make them muffins.  When I (guiltily?) woke up at 9am and saw them outside hard at work, I decided it was time to get started.  Luckily, these might be the easiest muffins I've ever made.  I love that they used ingredients that I always have on hand, didn't require waiting for butter to come to room temperature, and didn't even require a hand mixer.  I did everything with my hands and a wooden spoon!  I had these ready to go in the oven by the time it was pre-heated, and soon after we were all inside enjoying the muffins.  I had a hard time not thinking about how unhealthy these are (at least with blueberry muffins I can tell myself I'm eating fruit!), but they tasted good and the boys really seemed to like them.  This is definitely a recipe I'd use again if I wanted muffins without a trip to the store!

This post participates in TWD.  For the (easy) recipe go to Alisa's site, and to see what everyone else thought go to the TWD site.

6 comments:

  1. Well, if I was shoveling gravel this muffins would be very welcome! They look wonderful Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking muffin. It is nice to have a few recipes that require just the ingredients we always have.
    Sadly mine turned out like the Grand Canyon--but they tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad this was a hit for you and that they worked out well.

    The day The Dude and his brother replaced the toilet, I made bagels. If he can get someone else to help with those crazy house projects, I am more than happy to feed the help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was one upside to these muffins: easy to prepare! Yours look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jora, what a wonderful fun blog post to read! I am certainly glad that you enjoyed making this easy muffin recipe! The muffins were certainly a well deserved treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I would so much rather bake than haul gravel! Kudos to your hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete