Saturday, September 21, 2013

FFWD Tuna-Packed Piquillo Peppers


As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of canned tuna fish.  I was pretty excited when I saw this recipe finally got chosen.  I was less excited when I started looking online for piquillo peppers - they are so expensive!  I decided it was okay for a one-time thing, and after looking at lots of different options (at a pretty wide range of prices) I ordered some nice ones.  Selecting which peppers to buy was probably the hardest part of the whole recipe.  The tuna fish was a pretty basic recipe (I think it would also work well in a sandwich) and stuffing the peppers was easy.  The only challenge for me was keeping the outside of the peppers pretty and clean.  I kept getting tuna fish on them.  I don't really have the patience for appetizers on weeknights (especially now that we're always trying to eat quickly before Charlotte needs our attention), so I served these together with sandwiches (turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocados) and roasted vegetables (patty pan squash and green beans).  The tuna was good, but nothing to write home about.  For the cost I wanted to love the peppers, and I didn't think they were that different from regular roasted red peppers.  The highlight of this dinner was actually the roasted green beans.  I have some nice green bean recipes, but when I just want them as a quick side I almost always boil or steam them.  Roasting was delicious.  It's definitely a technique I'll use again.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you weren't wowed by this recipe. Your whole meal sounds excellent, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, I NEVER have the patience for appetizers. The best I am capable of is putting out some roasted nuts to nibble on if we happen to have guests.

    Sorry to hear that you didn't love the peppers, but hey, now you have tried them and now you know. You can check off another food experience and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great meal - I don't usually have patience for appetizers either. Somehow, they end up being part of the meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had even heard of piquillo peppers but found them at my local Whole Foods. I don't serve appetizers because I want people to be hungry for the meal I worked hard to create. I actually made these for my lunch and liked the taste. As for the tuna fish, I like my version better. Probably I will try this again to use up the pricey peppers but with my tuna fish mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Mary, I ate these for lunch. I liked the tuna salad better outside of the peppers, though I guess it's not as cute.

    ReplyDelete