Friday, March 2, 2012

FFWD Roasted Salmon and Lentils


When I saw the recipe schedule for this month I was very excited - great choices - but also knew that I wouldn't be able to make this week's recipe before Friday.  So this will be a very short post.  The combination of salmon and lentils sounded strange to me the first time I heard it, but I've been using Sara Moulton's recipe for a while now.  It calls for pancetta, but I always use her recommended substitution of smoked salmon, and also calls for vinegar and mustard.  I love it.  I think the mustard really balances out the richness of the fish.  I didn't think Dorie's recipe had as nice of a flavor.  What saved it for me was the truffle oil.  I absolutely love truffle oil, and also used this as an excuse to use some of the truffle salt that I brought back from Oregon.  With these ingredients we certainly enjoyed the dish, but I don't think it would've had enough flavor without them.

To see what other FFWD bloggers thought of the recipe, go here.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, truffle salt. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tasted the broth as my split peas (bad substitute!) cooked and added on the spot a few peppercorns and some thyme. That definitely helped! Sara Moulton's recipe sounds divine, though. I have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where the Sarah Moulton recipe would win out over this one (I would want to add both salmon & pancetta) - although, I must say we really enjoyed this. Smoked salmon always adds such a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually make a mustard glaze for salmon as well, but it is Martha Stewart's and we love it, but I really loved the simplicity of Dorie's salmon and the flavor of the salmon really shines. I want to try it with a little drizzle of truffle oil - i sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enough to get an excellent piece of salmon that needed nothing but s&p and a touch of olive oil infused with chilis. One of the frustrating things about fish is that I never know how flavorful it will be until I get it home and cook it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've all hit on my main problem with this recipe - the salmon I bought just wasn't that great. I guess next time I'm going to have to spring for the more expensive salmon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it looks darn good even if it didn't wow you! I'm going to check out Sara's recipe...it sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete