Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Paul said this was a lame excuse and he's probably right, but I would have done a much better job with this recipe if the ingredients list had said "2/3 cup sugar, separated" instead of just "2/3 cup sugar." Obviously I should have been paying more attention and working more slowly and carefully, but when I saw the instruction to sift the flour with the sugar and salt I added all of the sugar--I completely missed that it was only supposed to be 1 tbsp of the sugar. I realized when I got to the next step and I had no sugar left to beat with the eggs. I know at that point I should have started over, but I couldn't bare to throw out my 2+ cups of cake flour and sugar and really didn't have time to start over (as it was we ended up eating at 9PM again on Sunday night) so I continued with beating the eggs sans sugar. It took forever, but my eggs finally did reach the right consistency even without the sugar. However, as soon as I tried folding the sugar/flour mixture into the eggs I knew I was in trouble. I'm not that great at folding anyway, and with that volume of dry ingredients I completely deflated the eggs. My batter was so dense that I was only able to get 18 Madeleines, instead of the 24 the recipe was supposed to yield. They actually still had a nice flavor, but the consistency was completely off. They're chewy and dense; the opposite of light and airy. Oh well. I'm not going to punish myself by making these again anytime soon--there are too many good things to try--but I am looking forward to the next time we make a genoise batter. I'll definitely pay more attention and hope for better results.