Friday, August 30, 2013

FFWD Floating Islands


Floating Islands are another thing that I know about because I've seen Ina make them on TV, but have never gotten around to trying.  Paul and I aren't normally big fans of meringue, so I was never too interested.  Boy was I wrong!  This was delicious.  Most of the meringue I've had has been hard and not very flavorful (a notable exception are the excellent chocolate meringue cookies that my mother makes for Passover!), but this was delicate, light, and airy.  I especially enjoyed the caramelized top, but the whole "island" was delicious.  I--stupidly--overcooked my creme anglaise and it didn't have the smooth consistency that it should, but it still tasted good.  I'm still unclear on how I managed to overcook it.  My instant-read thermometer said 174.9 when I took it off, but it was definitely curdled.  That happens to me almost half of the time when I make ice cream.  I guess I just need more practice making ice cream, creme anglaise, and other custards :-)  Creme anglaise is also something I first learned about watching the Food Network.  I can't remember what show, but I remember the host saying that you could make it yourself but that it was the same--and much easier--to just use melted vanilla ice cream instead.  I tried it once and was unimpressed.  Maybe the ice cream I bought just wasn't good enough, but i think a homemade creme anglaise is much better.  Last, I rarely turn down an opportunity for fudge sauce and chocolate ice cream, but since we're nearing the end of summer I couldn't bear not to add fruit to the dessert.  I served this with poached figs.  I thought they paired excellently with the simple vanilla flavors.

Another thing I loved about this dish was that the meringue calls for 6 egg whites and the creme anglaise for 6 egg yolks.  I wonder if that's why they're traditionally served together.  It made me so happy not to have to throw away (or freeze and then forget about) either whites or yolks.

13 comments:

  1. I think the idea of figs is amazing! Here there's a version of floating island that has prunes inside the meringue. Glad you liked this one Jora. Did you check if your thermometer is working ok? I found out mine was broken inside, along the thin glass pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jora, your version looks very nice, I like that you cut a big slice and presented it that way - it is nice to see that we all seem to really enjoy this classic French dessert recipe because it is a wonderful recipe - I chose the baked individual ramekins and enjoyed trying a new recipe.
    Hope all is well, thank you for also for your nice comment about my "River Cottage Veg Everyday" series, I am trying my best to cook as many veggies as possible these days.
    Have a great weekend, Jora and hugs for Charlotte, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had teased Nana that the reason I made the whole recipe (other than it being French Friday :) was that it used up both separate parts of the egg ! I have wasted too many "parts" in the past I am ashamed to report. Yup - this was a keeper and I need to serve it with some fresh fruit too next time - great addition !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm entertained by the idea of making creme anglaise by melting ice cream. One would think that it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - I was very relieved that the yolk to white requirement worked out. It drives me nuts when they don't :-)
    This was a great treat & I think we all should make more ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve heard of melting ice cream for the creme anglaise, but somehow that just doesn’t sound right to me! I also read that you can fix a curdled batch of custard by whipping it. (google) I haven’t tried it but, you never know when the need will present itself. Your floating islands look lovely…so glad they were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your presentation is lovely, so delicious looking. Even though I did not care for the islands
    I am going to look into trying to prepare creme anglaise, it sounds wonderful. Have a happy
    holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dessert looks light and fluffy, like it is floating on the crème anglaise. I've made crème anglaise a lot for different desserts, I think the trick that I have come up with is constantly monitoring and stirring - it can go fast once it gets to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a special treat! I haven't tried it yet. I think I'm intimidated by all the parts, and the fact that Howard won't eat it, so it's a lot to make for just me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you enjoyed this one after all. And the poached figs sound like a perfect accompaniment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delicious....just mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um yeah, figs! Of course! I added nectarines at the last minute (unfortunately AFTER photography) and thought they were great. This does need some other 'anchor' to it and I do think figs was inspired! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Figs are a great addition to this recipe. I just planted a fig tree in our yard and I'm looking forward to harvesting some next year. I also have trouble with custards, sometimes, if I'm multitasking. I should get an instant read thermometer instead of always judging by eye.

    ReplyDelete