Friday, January 10, 2014

FFWD Baked Apples Flled with Fruits and Nuts


People who know me are always shocked to hear that I was in a sorority in college.  I would describe myself as the opposite of outgoing, and big groups of people generally aren't my thing.  To make a long story short, all of my friends in my dorm freshman year were rushing.  They all somehow convinced me that we were all going to rush together for fun and for the experience, but we wouldn't actually join houses.  My parents loved the idea of me pretending to be social, so I signed up.  I lasted two nights (I think that was called the first set).  I absolutely hated it.  Especially at the time, I was extremely self-conscious, horrific at making small talk with strangers, and couldn't have felt more out of place.  When I realized that the third day of rush would likely be more of the same, and would conflict with watching the Redskins' playoff game, I quit on the spot.  I had a great rest of the week watching playoff football with the guys in my dorm (even though the Redskins lost in the first round), and even though I generally try not to quit things, I was very happy with my decision.  The last day of rush, when people find out which houses they matched to (I think it's called bid night?), I came home to a message on my answering machine.  Apparently one of the houses had extra spots and was offering me one.  I was pretty skeptical, but I already knew some of the girls in that house and some of my friends were also joining, so I decided to give it a try.

I lived in my sorority house my junior year of college.  At the time, I really just saw it as a place to live.  I liked my roommates and the other girls who lived in that year, and the food was much better than dorm food, but I was by far one of the least involved members of the house.  In hindsight, I wish I had made more of an effort to be involved.  Live and learn, right?  So what's the point of all this?  One thing about living in the house is that our cook, Iola, made excellent desserts.  Also in hindsight, it's no wonder that despite all of my working out, I didn't manage to lose a single pound the year I lived in.  Apple dumplings were one of my favorites.  An entire apple baked in some sort of buttery dough (although it probably wasn't real butter), with some sort of sweet sauce and whipped cream (actually, it was probably cool whip).  I'm not sure I'd eat it anymore--now I'd probably insist on making it myself with real butter and cream--but man did I love it.  Now it's the kind of large, decadent dessert I'd probably insist on sharing with Paul, but at the time I had no trouble finishing off a whole one myself.

As I was making this dessert, I thought of those apple dumplings.  I was skeptical--this seemed like a dieter's version of the dessert that I loved--but these were actually excellent.  They had all of the right flavors and, especially with the ice cream, had enough butter to feel like a substantial dessert.  And they were quick and easy.  Writing this post has made me want to try making apple dumplings for a special occasion, but these baked apples are definitely something I'll make again when we want an easy fall (or winter) dessert.

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I was in a sorority, too, but no one ever expected it of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think the apple dumplings sound better. Not sure about the cool whip though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job. The apples look wonderful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sororities at NYU we were too busy clubbing. My husband was in a fraternity. He loves telling stories about the cook who drizzled something she called "uma" on everything to keep them "regular." I never had apple dumplings sounds delicious and yes, the butter made it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now I want apple dumplings for breakfast...Thanks :-)

    I managed to avoid sorority life (recluse that I am - although, the thought of living in a dorm with a live in chef sounds like a good incentive) - however, people are usually surprised when I tell them I was a cheerleader in high school for six years. Looking back, that tidbit even surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple dumplings Jora and have often thought I would like to make them. Those and apple fritters. Our youngest son who is the least likely person I know to join anything rushed a fraternity. On the final night they were having a formal dinner and everyone was telling what the fraternity means to them; he told them it was a place to eat and sleep and it wasn't for him. That's more like the boy we knew! As we look back on our younger selves (or myself yesterday) it would be nice to do a few things differently, wouldn't it? We loved these apples too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We didn't have sororities or fraternities at my university, thank goodness! I would not have done well during a rush week, either. These apples were so simple, but really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun that you shared your sorority story and just as fun to read all the comments others have on the topic. I also love that you mentioned the apple dumplings in crust. I was thinking about those the whole time making these. Esp because I thought the filling darkened too much on mine and they didn't get soft enough (never mind that I used vinegar instead of cider, egad) and I thought a crust would have helped. Because really, crust helps everything, no ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't in a sorority at college. I kind of fell into the group with the rest of the Puerto Rican and Latin American students, and we had pretty much the same types of activities than the Greeks. Dinners, formals, etc. It would have been fun to be in one, but it was also ridiculously expensive. I didn't even consider asking my parents. I did get to go to a few frat date parties and of course the notorious house parties, so I don't feel I missed out.

    The pastry covered apple sounds amazing! If you get around making it with butter and cream you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pledged a sorority when I went to Florida State because my brother told me to!!! It wasn't my cup of tea. I managed to gain weight my freshman year, of course, on malts and donuts. I try not to remember the "freshman twenty". I also liked these apples and definitely will make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad these ended up exceeding your expectations! I don't think my college had sororities and I probably wouldn't have pledged either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No sorority for me. In reality I'm pretty much independent and have always been. It probably was a great experience though! These look great!

    ReplyDelete