Friday, January 31, 2014

FFWD Paris-Brest


Paul and I spent the first few days of our honeymoon in Paris, before going to southern France and Italy.  Our first night in Paris we went to Bistrot Paul Bert.  I, having done my homework ahead of time, ordered the Paris-Brest for dessert.  I can't remember what I had for the first two courses (I think my first may have been a shaved vegetable salad?), but the Paris-Brest was incredible.  It was one of those rare times when my expectations were extremely high, and I wasn't let down at all.  I know Dorie says it's enough to feed a crowd (and it is!), but I think I managed to eat the entire thing myself.  At least in my memory, it was that good.  So, I was very excited to make this Paris-Brest.  We invited our French friends over for lunch, I baked in the morning, and after lunch we decided to dig in.  This was good, but not spectacular.  I wanted my pastry creme to have more of an almond flavor.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to head back to Paris to get the original!

12 comments:

  1. Almond cream would be great with this!

    It sounds like the bar for this dessert was set very high. I am not sure anything could compare to eating the real thing in Paris :-) Your dessert does look wonderful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to Paris for the original sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the romantic memory.. your Paris-Brest is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your Paris-Brest looks terrific, even if it wasn't quite as almondy as you would have liked. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it came from a Parisian bakery. Glad that you revisited some wonderful memories with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your pastry looks divine! But how could it top the one of your memory at such a lovely moment in your life? Happy that you got to make this and share with friends!! (oh, and the trip back to Paris sounds like an excellent idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Paris-Brest looks wonderful. It's fun when these recipes bring back such fun memories, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all should meet in Paris sometime and do a Paris-Brest tasting ;) Thanks for indulging my choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! I second Mardi's idea!! Let's all meet in Paris!! Your Paris-Brest looks really scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous dessert! Yes, we all should go to Paris and try it there too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jora, your Paris-Brest looks fabulous - the almonds on top are a nice finish too. It is so nice that this pastry brought back some wonderful memories!
    Hope all is well - Charlotte looks so cute on the picture in your previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours looks lovely! And I think we should all go to Paris just to have this!

    ReplyDelete