Wednesday, July 31, 2013

TWD Catching-Up on June (Savarin and Cheese and Tomato Galette)


June was the most exciting, happiest, and most overwhelming month of my life.  My daughter (although we didn't know her gender until she was born) was due on June 2nd.  I was told I would likely deliver late, though, so I bought the stuff to make the Savarin and was planning on making it the first week of June.  It never happened.  I kept meaning to get started on it, but was surprisingly busy trying to finish things up before the baby was born (including the wedding scrapbook which I was so close to finishing!) and the recipe sounded overwhelming, so I kept deciding to start it the next day.  Well, I went into labor on the night of the 4th and still hadn't started the recipe.  Luckily, the only ingredients I had purchased for it were the berries and cream and we were able to put those to use in simpler recipes our first week home from the hospital.  I kept putting this recipe off in favor of simpler things for a few weeks, but last week I finally decided I was ready.  After all that, it was so much easier than I thought it would be!  Yes there are a lot of components, but none of them is hard to make.  I did skip making the raspberry puree.  It felt like too much trouble for only two tablespoons.  I replaced it with blackberry jam (homemade and canned last summer!) thinned with the leftover sugar syrup from soaking the cake (it seemed silly to use water and sugar when I had sugar water sitting right there) and thought it made a delicious fruit sauce.  I was thrilled with this recipe.  Paul, our guests, and I loved the combination of the sweet yeasted dough with the berries and cream.  I love recipes that look harder than they are.  This is definitely one I'll be making again.


On the other hand, as soon as I saw the Cheese and Tomato Galette recipe I was excited to make it.  This was one of the first things I got around to making after Charlotte was born.  I made the crust when I had some time early in the day, and then the Paul helped with the quick assembly and baking at dinner time.  I was inadvertently out of the cheeses called for (I thought my mom had bought them for us, but it turned out she was just storing them in our fridge to take to her house...) so I substituted some goat gouda I happened to have.  It was delicious.  We both thought that the very flavorful cheese worked better than the mozzarella and jack would have.  I'll definitely make this again with the goat gouda, but am also excited to try it with other cheeses.  As Paul said, it's like a pizza with lots of butter.  What's not to love!?!

1 comment:

  1. This savarin recipe was crazy easy - which is a bonus.
    The galette was a hit in our house too.

    Great catch up :-)

    ReplyDelete