Friday, July 5, 2013

FFWD Wheat Berry and Tuna Salad


I realized while I was pregnant and trying not to eat too much of it, that I really like canned tuna fish.  I think of it as a totally different food than fresh tuna, which I also really like, but it's a quick, convenient protein source and can really be delicious in the right recipe.  So I was very happy when I saw this recipe on the June schedule.  It's the type of thing that's right up my alley.  I was a little bit worried that Paul would complain about the wheat berries (he complains about almost all whole grains), but he doesn't get nearly as mad at me when I'm able to tell him that the recipe was for the blog.  This was the first recipe I attempted to make while wearing Charlotte (who was strapped into the baby carrier).  It was definitely slower than usual, but a success.  I cooked and dressed the wheat berries earlier in the day, during two different naps, and after letting them sit for a while to let the dressing soak in I put Charlotte in the carrier and prepared all of the other ingredients.


Mixed together,  the salad was lovely.  It need a surprising amount of salt, but I really liked how all of the different flavors came together.  I thought the apple was an especially nice addition.  It made this more interesting than a lot of the tuna salads I usually make.  I prepared this the night before to eat for lunch the next day.  I know Dorie said this needed to be eaten immediately, but I thought it still tasted great a day later.


5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this with tuna yet, but after reading every one's descriptions, the original version does sound pretty tasty! (and now I am curious about the apple)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this is a perfect lunch, easy and healthy, and most importantly, delicious. Glad to hear Charlotte is letting you get things done. Hope you are sleeping some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the apple was a great idea too and one that I never would have thought about on my own. That Dorie is always teaching me something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jora, your wheat berry salad looks wonderful - this was a fabulous recipe, I agree and although I am running very late with comments this week (sorry for that) I wanted to let you know that I really like the way you dressed your healthy and delicious wheat berry salad with all those wonderful veggies and eggs and tuna! I already made it twice since last Friday for two school end parties with different veggies and herbs.
    Have a lovely Tuesday! All the best for Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love canned tuna, too...and it was a terrific addition to this wheat berry salad! I had no trouble eating it the next day...still yummy! I'm glad Miss Charlotte's naps allow you to cook :)

    ReplyDelete