Friday, October 25, 2013

FFWD Not-Muenster Cheese Souffle


As much as I love going away on vacation, I almost always love coming home too.  (Italy is an exception.  I've been twice and didn't feel ready to leave either time.)  Especially after our first vacation with a four month old, I was very ready to come home to my own bed.  Despite having a million things to do, I was also very ready to get back into the kitchen.  (Unpacking can wait, right?)  This was a perfect first meal back.  It was delicious and fancy, but didn't take too much time to put together.  I know I should have been brave and tried the muenster (and maybe I will one day), but I'm not very adventurous with cheeses, have never liked muenster, and didn't feel like making a special trip to the store, so I used some Asiago that I had in the fridge.  It was excellent.  I love Dorie's instruction to cut the cheese into small cubes.  I usually grate it, but I think grated cheese can sometimes get lost in the dish.  The cubes created pools of gooey cheese; my favorite.  My only problem with this recipe is that the souffle didn't rise above the dish.  I didn't have the right size individual ramekins, and I think the dish I picked was just too large to get a proper rise.  Oh well.  It still tasted great!

15 comments:

  1. Mmmh, Asiago is an inspired choice for soufflé. I totally get wanting to get back home to your own bed and PILLOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DELISH! No Asiago nor Muenster easily available over at my end, might use cubed cheddar and grated parm if I make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these souffles would be marvelous with most any cheese...I'm sure it was amazing with Asiago! And it sure looks like you got a nice rise :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. This was my first week back from vacation too and I feel like the jet lag hasn't worn off yet. Your souffle looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks perfect to me, and I love Asiago cheese too. Next time I will look for the real muenster and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asiago sounds pretty good to me!
    I hope all your travels went smoothly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of cheese I think you figured out your problem with the rise... next time. As long as it tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asiago is a great flavor choice! Your souffle looks pretty good to me! I just got home after being away for five weeks…so glad to sleep in my own bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea to use the Asiago. Next time I will follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even thought my effort for this week doesn't look like it I have made many a cheese soufflés but I've never just cut up cubes for the cheese. Always grated it. Now I'm with you...those pools of cheese were quite something. I will do that again that way for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can tell that it rose perfectly, even if the dish was large. I'm going to have to catch up on this one some time, because it sounds delicious. Asiago was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jora, your cheese soufflé looks fabulous - took me a while to find the Munster cheese and I am a day late but I also enjoyed this recipe very much! Asiago sounds wonderful too though.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, only Asiago! Sounds delicious!! I wasn't able to find any "fancy" muenster, so I kind of wish I'd made a different substitution. Yours looks just wonderful, and such a nice meal for when you got home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, coming home is always a good thing, even from a great vacation. What a comforting welcome home meal you made yourself! I think this would be good with any kind of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unpacking can always wait :) Yours looks just lovely and I am glad that you enjoyed it. That must have been a very appreciated welcome home meal - I know I would have been impressed (we usually get pizza in situations like this.....:) Great job !!

    ReplyDelete