Monday, May 12, 2014

FFWD Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa


Work deadline is over!  Now I get to catch up on the rest of my life, while waiting for the next crisis to hit.  I barely remember making this.  I think it was last Saturday night.  I thought it was okay, but probably not something I would make again.  Paul said the leeks were too stringy, and I agree that they were quite a challenge to eat.  I'm not quite sure what I did wrong.  I used the thinnest leeks I could find.  They weren't pencil thin (I might be inspired to try this again if I found very thin leeks), but they were quite thin and I cooked them until very soft.  Maybe I used too much of the green parts?  I never know what to make of instructions like "use only the white and pale green parts."  How does one define pale green?  It's all gradations!  I do much better with black-and-white instructions, I have no clue what to do with these shades of grey.  Anyway, I served these with wilted spinach and Giant Chipotle White Beans.  Does anybody else buy Rancho Gordo beans?  They're expensive for beans, but beans are still a relatively inexpensive dinner, and I really think that they're worth it.  They're absolutely delicious, the texture is so much better than canned, and this is one of my favorite ways to make them.  Anyway, onto the next FFWD recipe!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on the confusing instructions when it comes to leeks. I get tripped up all the time and when it comes to presentations like this one where the dish has to look decent too I just opt to leave more on than I otherwise would and just know not to eat them all. After trimming them down I find them tender enough to eat except for maybe a bite or two that I left. Yours look quite nice on that platter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leeks look exactly like they should look. I feel your pain. I had Trevor on speed dial for the entire time I was making them. Mine were jumbos and they tasted delicious. I simmered them for 30 minutes until they were tender. Don't know why yours were stringy. Glad your big deadline is over, done, finished, accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dish came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps: you made your own salted eggs?!!?? you rock girl!

    ReplyDelete