Friday, November 28, 2014

FFWD Béatrix’s Red Kuri Soup


I ignored enough of the instructions here that I'm pretty sure I'm disqualified from commenting on the recipe, but I'll try anyway.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a Red Kuri squash, so I used a combination of butternut and a piece of kabocha that I happened to have leftover.  When I read the bonne idee more carefully I realized that I should have added chestnuts to mimic the flavor of Red Kuri, but I didn't have any at home and didn't have the time to go back to the store.  Then I didn't feel like peeling squash, so I skipped that part of the recipe too.  What I did was slice the squash in half, put it cut side down on a baking sheet, and bake until very sort (about 1.5 hours).  After it cooled it was easy to scoop out and discard the seeds, and then scoop the flesh into the pot.  I had already cooked the leeks in some butter in the bottom of the soup pot, so at that point all I did was add some milk and water, blend, and re-heat.  Quick and easy.  Since I didn't make the soup correctly, I decided to follow the directions and make the apple and hazelnut garnish.  I also did blue cheese croutons.  I'm still hopeful that one day I'll find a Red Kuri squash and get to actually try the soup, but this was an easy and very tasty substitute.  

9 comments:

  1. I had to search, but eventually found a red kuri. I hope you can find one at some point, because the flavor is very interesting. You'll definitely like it. the blue cheese croutons sound delicious. I'm so glad you got to meet another Dorista this week! I'm supposed to see Adriana tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted squash soup beats plain simmered squash in my book. I wasn't a fan of the butternut + chestnuts version - maybe your blue cheese croutons would have helped. So, so happy to meet you and talk over coffee on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this week's recipe led you to a very tasty squash soup, even if it wasn't really the one Dorie had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version sounds delicious. Heck, use what's easy to find. And did you say blue cheese crutons? Did I miss those or were those your creation? Sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe does sound inviting and looks delicious too. Loved the photo
    on FB of you and Adriana, how fun to meet up with a fellow Dorista.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds great! It's nice that it was easy--perhaps easier, even, than Dorie's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made the tastier version and honestly I think butternut is tastier. It is just the convince of not having to remove the skin that I like about the Red Kuri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you made the soup brilliantly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suspect your soup tasted delicious especially with the blue cheese croutons. Who would ever think of that? I think roasting your squash was a wonderful idea and next time I make this soup, I will do that. So happy that you and Adriana had time for coffee. Many of us met Adriana in Seattle. She and Eduardo are a delight, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete