Thursday, March 28, 2013

FFWD December 2012 (Cauliflower Soup; Chicken, Apples, and Cream; Cheez-its; Celery Root Puree)

Other than the soup this wasn't the healthiest month of Dorie recipes, but we did enjoy all of them.  I actually forgot to photograph the Creamy Cauliflower Soup Sans Cream and am having trouble remembering much about it, but I am sure that I made it.  I think we enjoyed it, but it definitely didn't knock our socks off--otherwise I'm sure I would remember it!  I have a lot of similar healthy vegetable soup recipes, so I doubt I'll get around to making this one again.


I made the Chicken, Apples, and Cream a la Normande and the Go-with-everything Celery Root Puree (and also the TWD Finnish Pulla) for a Sunday night dinner back in December.  I was running behind and my dad was over for dinner, so while I finished the chicken I asked Paul to finish the puree and my dad to tear and wash lettuce for salad.  Paul did a good job with the puree--he didn't add the butter but it was totally my fault for forgetting to tell him and we actually didn't miss it--and my dad did a nice job of tearing the lettuce.  I showed him how to use the salad spinner, but I was still glad that I checked the lettuce before I started adding dressing.  It was sopping wet!  Like a half an inch of water on the bottom of my salad bowl wet.  I'm still unclear on how my dad messed that one up.  He's definitely very lucky my mom's such a good cook :-)


We definitely enjoyed this whole dinner, though.  I've mentioned before that Paul doesn't really like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but with enough cream I think almost anything would taste good.  I'd definitely make this again for a relatively quick and easy dinner.  The puree was also delicious, even without the butter.  Paul mistakenly told my dad that it was celery root--my dad's a very picky easier and I was just planning on telling him that it was mashed potatoes--but he still happily ate it.


I made the Cheez-it-ish Crackers as an appetizer for our Hanukkah party, and was very pleased with them.  The children and adults both loved them, and they were so easy to make.  The only time-consuming part was cutting them all out with a cookie cutter.  I found myself wishing I had some kids around to help me cut them out--I should have waited for our guests to arrive--but this is definitely a recipe I'll pull out again.  I've brought cheese crackers to parties/potlucks before, and they have always been very well received.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you weren't kidding when you said you made everything :-)
    I always try to hide ingredients until people have had a chance to taste them. I call it "public service".

    ReplyDelete